Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Congratulations, Alana!



Last night my good friend Alana got engaged! 

This was especially exciting because I remember the day when Steve and Alana first met. 
It was exactly a year ago yesterday! 
I invited Alana to come to the huge bonfire FHE at Dockweiler Beach the LA and Santa Monica singles wards throw during the summer months. 

She and I drove separately because she came straight from work.  I vividly remember only seeing her after I got out of the restroom. She was heading off to throw a frisbee with some guys and had a big smile on her face as she said, "You are welcome to join us!" I watched from a distance - I saw her talking and tossing frisbee amongst a handful of USC Dental students, one of which was a Mr. Steve Johnson {or should I say Dr.?} I thought  I think she is really enjoying this bonfire activity!

Alana and Steve started dating soon after that. 


Just last week I attended the first Dockweiler bonfire FHE of the year.  I was thinking about Alana and Steve, actually, when about half an hour into the bonfire I received a voicemail from Steve himself! He had never called me before, so I knew immediately why he was calling.  We played phone tag for a day or two and finally I heard "So next week I am planning to propose to Alana at the place where we first met last year!" Perfect!  And it was the perfect proposal - check it out on Alana's family's blog

It would have been even more perfect if I didn't have to work that evening - Steve wanted me to photograph the magical moment on the beach!  But I did get to see them back at the Finlay's when they returned, and I snapped these: 


On the phone with her brother Ian. 




Alrighty, let me explain these purple cups.  This tradition was unbeknownst to me until last night.  This is one of many fun traditions the Finlay's have {such as random nicknames and a competition to see who can visit all 50 states first! So fun. I love them.}

Growing up, each child had their own color cup; two cups came in each color.  When James got married, his wife, Megan used his color cup... and I guess it turned into a "ceremony" for the new member of the Finlay family to officially use the matching cup.  


Now it's official! 



Sis. Finlay examining the ring



woohoo! 

She didn't know I was coming over, so it was great to hear her squeal of excitement. 
I loved when she said, "Everyone knew but me!"




This is pure happiness right here : )






Way to go Steve.  You picked a lovely ring, and an even more lovely girl : )



2 comments:

  1. Hillary, thanks for telling the other side of the story. . .your pictures are marvelous and your sense of humor is phenomenal. Rosario, get ready for the greatest missionary you have ever had!!!!!

    ReplyDelete