Saturday, May 7, 2011

BYU Commencement & Convocation






My BYU graduation was so wonderful!  

Commencement: 

I had the privilege to hear an Apostle speak at my Commencement.  Elder Richard G. Scott gave many words of advice that I thought you might like to read.  He gave us several principles that can guide us in every aspect of our lives: 

1.  Don't make exceptions to your standards 

2.  Be loyal

3.  Live so the Lord can guide you where you need to be in life 

4.  Serve others 

5.  Smile 

He said, "I'll let you in on a little secret."  He leaned closer to the microphone and half-whispered, "This is how you are guaranteed to wake up with a smile every morning:  go to sleep with a coat hanger in your mouth." 

This joke didn't fly so well when my friends and I repeated it to those who didn't hear it from the primary source.  There is just something so comical and jovial about an elderly man sharing a corny joke.  In fact, the moment I heard the punch line I immediately thought, "This is exactly the kind of joke Papa would have told!" 

6.  Don't complain. 

7.  Always have a church assignment. 

8.  Go to the temple. 

9.  Use the Savior Jesus Christ as your example for life.  








My friend Franchesca from G7 called me a few days before graduation to coordinate sitting together! 
I am so glad she did, because this was no high school graduation where you know all the people in your graduating class.  We both got the chills when we all stood up in the Marriott Center and were presented as graduates by a huge applause. She is getting married next month to a cute boy from Santa Barbara {whom I have yet to meet!!}  so it was fun to see her once more before she heads off to her next big adventure. 




My cousin Matt also graduated!  He couldn't go to Commencement because he had to take a final.  Why can't graduates have a break in between school and the celebration?! Poor guy. 




Convocation: 











It felt so weird to hold a diploma after not being in classes for four months. 
It was all pretty surreal, and I must admit that sitting with my colleagues from my major was a lot more fun than I anticipated.  One guy had his DSLR and was filming the whole "backstage" craziness and even recorded some parts of the actual ceremony from his seat.  

Other highlights backstage: 
Making a "Tunnel of Friendship" as I like to call it.  The different majors were called to take their seats, and we Media Art students were last, so we lined up on two sides with our arms raised up and made a little covered tunnel for the graduates to run through.  We danced, we laughed, and we even sang "The Graduation Song" by Vitamin C.  If you haven't yet guessed, we film majors are goof balls.  In fact I think it is an undeclared requirement, which is probably the winning factor of how I was accepted into the program. 

During the ceremony I kept saying to myself,  "I belong to the coolest college at BYU, hands down!" 
Here's why: 

A fellow Media Arts {film} student spoke on not giving up on your dreams.  I of course ate that all up!  It was great to hear perfect advice from someone who knows how to relay messages of advice the way I do - with good quotes and good film clips!  Her subject?  Kermit. The Frog.  YES!! 


This was shown on the screen behind her / in front of us graduates: 





She played a clip from The Muppets Take Manhattan and even quoted from Kermit's song Rainbow Connection.  Again, so cool.  I loved how my BYU Education came full circle - I started off taking Intro to Film taught by a quirky professor who often alluded to the Muppet's and the messages found in their films.  Who would have thought I would receive words of wisdom from a singing frog on my graduation day  {and I also thought, come on Puppetry department!  You totally could have made a Kermit and have him perform the song live! I guess I'll make do with what I have.} 

To top it off, two beautifully talented vocalists sang "A New World" from Jason Robert Brown's Broadway musical "Songs for a New World".  Chills!!  

When I walked across the stage to shake my dean's hand, he gave me a hug instead.  I have never met the dean before, and so I was a little surprised, and he bumped my cap back {my fault, it was already too far back.. see below}  which made for an interesting photograph.  



The second photograph was taken offstage in front of a green screen.  Green screen!!  Yup, we took advantage of that after the ceremony.  Boston, the guy with the DSLR, filmed us graduating... in space! in the desert!  in the ocean!  yea... like I said... goofs. 



Notice the change of my cap's placement.  I refused to wear it completely on my forehead. I might be paying for that decision once I finally see the professional photographs taken when I received my diploma. Oh well. 



I loved having my extended family there for all the celebrations! 
Heymans, Saunders, Browns. 


Cheryl loves being on BYU campus. 







Wondering why Emily is smiling so much?  Hint - Shauna's mischievous look and placing of her right hand behind... 



Lisa mentioned that this picture could pass as a couple graduating with their children. Wouldn't be a big surprise at our school!  Haha! 







We had a great lunch at the Skyroom in the Wilkinson Center, and then went bowling afterward! 
What a beautiful day it was.



Look at me!  I sleep with a coat hanger in my mouth! 

4 comments:

  1. congratulations! your pictures are all amazing - I wouldn't expect less, it just makes me wish I could go back for any of our graduation days to get pictures that would be half of your quality and set-up!

    you look lovely & the cap is always crazy to figure out...although I didn't notice anything with your pictures - you look absolutely beautiful in every single one! Congrats grad...way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post. great pictures. great family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hooray for coat hangers!! hillmill-- can't tell you how thrilled i was that you'll be spreading the good word!! can't wait to hear where you're going!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete