Friday, March 18, 2011

"SO... Does your school really kick you out for ____? "

I've been asked this question several times in the past few weeks. 

Rewind to when ESPN Radio did a 2 hour segment solely on the specifics of the Honor Code, and asked callers which of the nine rules they would do away with and keep if they had the choice:

Here are the nine: 

1.  Be Honest
2.  Live a chaste and virtuous life 
3.  Obey the law and all campus policies 
4.  Use clean language
5.  Respect others
6.  Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse
7.  Participate regularly in church services 
8.  Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards 
9.  Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code 

The radio host A Martinez was far more respectful than the previous host - who was so classless and ignorant I won't take the time to write about his far-fetched theories of "who squealed on Davies."
I actually saw Martinez broadcasting live at the ESPN Zone at LA Live during this story, and thanks to the prodding of my Dad I got enough courage to knock on the door and ask the other guys in the booth if Martinez wanted any clarification on the Honor Code {he kept asking "What do they mean by Dress and Grooming Standards?"} because I am a BYU Alumni. "I don't want to be on the radio or anything, but he can ask me anything he wants if any part of the Honor Code doesn't make sense to him."  The guy said, "Cool thanks.  He's actually just finishing the story and going on to talk about Barry Bonds." 
I was partially relieved.  I don't know how I could have handled a headstrong and slightly intimidating sports radio host... 

Since the world of sports and anyone who keeps up with the daily buzz have discovered the specifics of my alma mater's honor code - conversations have been very different when people discover where I earned my film degree. 

I was working as a stills photographer on set of a commercial.  I sat down to lunch next to the 2nd AD {Assistant to the Assistant Director}, the sound guy, and another PA {production assistant}.  
2nd AD:  So, did you go to film school? 
Me:  Yes, I just graduated actually! 
2nd AD:  From where?
Me:  BYU, in Utah. 
Sound guy:  Ahhh man!  Are you serious?  So all that controversy... is it true that all those students don't have sex??  How is that possible?! 
simultaneously with the 2nd AD: So you're Mormon? 
Me: Yes, I'm Mormon.
2nd AD: So did Davies really get kicked out for having sex with his girlfriend? 
Me:  The school didn't give an official statement, but that's what the rumor is. 
 Sound guy:  So can you get kicked out for drinking coffee??  That's ridiculous! 
Me:  No, no, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get kicked out of school for drinking coffee.  Every situation is handled differently. 
Sound guy:  Same thing happened to Unga, right? {he trails off as I am talking to the 2nd AD about how yes, most kids do actually follow the honor code.}  I know some Mormons,  they are really nice. 

{I think it funny that the sound guy was speaking about "the Mormons" to me as if I was not one.  Just sounded funny how he kept saying "they."}


The second occasion occurred last night at The Stand in Westwood, just up the street from the Temple. 
I was with my sister and our friend Taylor Hoopes after doing baptisms. 
The UCLA v. Michigan State game was on all 4 screens, and the guy at the counter {with a prominent mustache} was very involved with the Bruins' soon to be win.  After the game ended I asked if he could change it to the Gonzaga v. St John's game 
Hill: "So I can see who BYU will be playing in the next round!"  
Mustache Man: "Yea, for sure."  He changed it and came over by our table and asked,  "Did you go to BYU?"  
H: "Yes I just graduated from there!"  
MM: "So, the Honor Code... it's really that strict?  Can you get kicked out for drinking coffee??"  {again, everyone is so concerned about life without coffee!} 
H: "Haha, no..." 
{the conversation was similar to the previous about Brandon Davies}
MM: "And how can the school regulate everyone?  I mean there is no way that they can tell if you're having sex or not.."  
H:"No it's true, they can't regulate everyone, but part of it is being honest and there is an Honor Code Office that deals with every case individually."  
MM: "Huh." 
H: "It's an awesome school, I really enjoyed it." 
MM: "No yea, I've heard great things about it.  Have you been to the Hawaii campus?"  


This "controversy"  has re-introduced me to the kind of conversations I used to have at the lunch tables in high school.  I have always enjoyed talking about my lifestyle and beliefs because luckily everyone who speaks to me is considerably respectful, and a lot of times in awe that there are people in the world that abstain from alcohol and sex outside of marriage.  



When the whole Davies upset happened I honestly liked the fact that ESPN talked about it for as long and in such detail as they did. This has been a great way for the world to discover how we are different.  Dad said this is great publicity!  Parents are probably so thrilled to know that there is a school out there where their kids can both live wholesome lives AND be athletically successful.  
BYU will be remembered for staying true to their own rules instead of waiting until the end of the tournament to suspend Davies.  And even better, the teammates have been loving and forgiving, which I personally would have had a really hard time doing if I was in their shoes.  He is traveling with the team. Tomorrow he will be on the bench in Denver watching his boys take on the Zag's.  

Proud to be a Cougar. 





1 comment:

  1. Good post. :) I'm proud of you for offering to talk to Martinez for clarification. That takes courage.

    ReplyDelete