Monday, May 23, 2011

I wear many hats

I feel like I have been leaving you all out of the loop immensely about what I do everyday as a "production assistant" or "stills photographer" or whatever it is I am doing these days.  My apologies.  Here is one of what I hope to be many updates about my "blossoming career", which will then a take hefty hiatus once I journey to a land below the Equator.  Sounds exotic and dangerous, doesn't it?  {@ashmills, are you counting my air bunnies?}

I have the best job right now.  Why do I love this job so much?  Here are a few reasons:

1.  Every day is different.  Heck, sometimes every half day is different. I wear many hats, which is fun, challenging, and rewarding. 
In the past five months, I have held these positions: 

- stills photographer / filming behind the scenes
- production assistant on set = running around with a radio following orders like a chicken with it's head chopped off.  I love it all except I am not very good on radio. 
- 2nd or 3rd camera.  I got to film with my camera an actress driving in a car on a dolly being pulled by a truck with the main camera. Just like in the movies. It was cool!
- assistant editor - I view all the footage {dailies}, select the best takes, and sometimes make rough cuts. -There's nothing like hearing "I love all the takes you picked" from the director. 
- receptionist - I answer phones, receive clients, order and prepare lunch. There is something satisfying about pushing buttons and transferring people... and wearing secretary like glasses while doing so... 
- personal assistant, assistant to the writer/creative {a job I don't think I will ever retire from, even after my boss retires... read below*}
2. I am getting paid, and at a higher rate than I did as a student {thank goodness!}  I look at my paycheck and think this must be what an adult feels like.  Weird. 
3.  I am working in film! I can also add legit names to my resume, such as Honda and CHP. 

The main reason why I love my job:  my Dad is my boss.  
And this is not be interpreted as some easy break where I am automatically hired for any position that comes his way / I get to choose my hours or project / I am paid more than others / I am favored more than others.  Nope.  I am treated just like anyone else, in fact when I am introduced on set, he doesn't mention that I am his daughter, except in certain situations when a crew member may ask, "Who is that girl?!"  in that tone {you know which tone I am talking about}  and that's when he throws the fatherly instincts into gear.  Oh the joys of being one of three females on set... 





Chilling with Cole Petersen on set of a CHP commercial the day we filmed a long take of the aftermath of a crash scene. It looked so real some pedestrians asked if the drivers survived {I felt bad at how sincere they were... didn't they notice the huge semi-truck with all the film equipment??}


I love working for my Dad because he knows how to wear several hats at once!  He's the director thinking like an editor but also making sure the script is being read correctly while throwing in a few artistic ideas to the DP {director of photography}.  And he does it seamlessly!  When the crew members finally discover that I am related to this wonderful man, many say things like, "He is one of the sweetest directors! Such a kind man!"  I am proud : )

Today I am wearing the receptionist hat.  perk = I get to blog. It's a win win for everyone - you finally get updated, I can relax and pour out my thoughts, and MWP has their phone calls answered. batta bing batta boom. 


*In some ways I have always been my dad's assistant, ever since I was the age of capability to answer phone calls, take messages, and take notes while riding in the passenger seat of my dad's car on the way to work. And I love it when he asks for my artistic opinion on a shot, and then sometimes uses it!  He's been training me ever since I was little, and I am just now realizing it. 


wearing our hats 

I am so grateful to have had this many professional experiences with one of my very favorite people!!


This just in {for real} - my boss just traded my receptionist hat in for my assistant editor hat.  The man is never satisfied!  Gotta fly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment