Friday, May 27, 2011

blog stalking / mission prep 101.2

I have been really yearning for some more information about Rosario.
The culture, the food, the architecture, the barrios, the climate, and the mission itself.
It's been slim pickings so far - the only core of information I have at the moment is thanks to Wikipedia. 

I found an Elder's blog who has been out for ten months. From what I read, this is what the city of Rosario is like: 

- There is a section of his zone, Parque de Independencia, that has "OK" houses and the "villa", which is worse than the ghetto.  One room houses. 

- Many investigators are more than willing to read the Book of Mormon and even want to get baptized, but actually showing up at church is hard for them. 

- They don't sell canned beans in the market. 

-Riding the bus A LOT and walking A LOT = 10-12 miles a day.  {I LOVE that, I love walking!}


I just found a youtube video posted a few days ago of some elders filming a little tour of their apt in Argentina, filmed back in '96! I was hesitant in posting it, but I gave in because a} it's hard to describe the amusement that comes from listening to young missionaries and b} there is a lot of text in this post, and visual aids make blog posts look more interesting. So there you go. I especially loved the landlord's accent! 



-dulce de leche.  {!}
- I hope I won't get sick of the food. I felt bad when they said that! Come on! Enjoy the latino culture!! You can eat your popcorn and hot dogs all you want when you get home! 


There are other things that I knew previously, that haven't clicked until I have now imagined myself in South America: 

- Exotic and not-so-exotic insects!  Maybe I will come home with a framed cockroach collection to give to Mom for Mother's day?
- Southern Hemisphere = the seasons are flipped! Christmas in humid summers!  Crazy!








No comments:

Post a Comment