Wednesday, March 30, 2011

film log, Jan-Mar 2011



Not a huge fan of this male lead, but he is supposed to be significantly older than her, so I guess that works for the story! 




I have been wanting to watch this ever since I missed my chance at BYU's International Cinema.
It is a British film.  I had a hard time understanding the little boy in the beginning with his thick Scottish accent. Emily Mortimer {from Disney's The Kid!} and Gerald Butler.  It is so sad in some parts, but worth watching!  PG-13 for language. 





 A film about Banksy, the mysterious UK graffiti artist.  This crazy French guy from LA starts filming a bunch of other graffiti artists and finds himself with a connection to film a doc about Banksy.  When I say crazy, I mean far beyond lunatic.  He thinks he is a filmmaker, but really just goes around filming everything compulsively, has no organization, and can't form a concrete story from his hundreds of tapes.  Banksy takes over the doc, and this film is the end result.  Some writers are convinced the whole film is a hoax.  What is NOT a hoax is the prank he pulls at Disneyland - I was really offended when I saw what he did, but I still found the film to be unlike any other story I've ever experienced.
Rated R for language.




I've already mentioned Funny Face, and I watched The Audrey Hepburn Story yesterday.
It caused me to go dress shopping.  Let's just say I did not come home empty handed. That's saying a lot considering my shopping impulses are rare.  {Note to self:  when saving money, do not watch vintage films that contain cute vintage clothing.}







1966, two surfers travel to Africa to take on the waves.
The only thing you hear is the narrator and 60s tunes in the background.
His commentary is pretty funny, though slightly racist and ignorant when speaking of the natives' first ever encounter with surfing.  I was also quite amused by his references to how expensive Africa was at the time, and it blew my mind at how enormously inflation has skyrocketed through the decades.  The narrator was so baffled at the pricey $1 coffee and $1/gallon gas prices in Africa.  We would all love a little bit of that, wouldn't we?
{sans coffee, claro. ; )}



2 comments:

  1. Is this the first time you watched Endless Summer??!!! We used to watch it when we were kids all the time with Mike Bergen. I love it and love the narrator!!! Dis you know there is an Endless Summer 2!!! We should watch it together. You need to watch Step Into Liquid..It's really good too!! I think I have it if you want to borrow it :)

    ReplyDelete